DIY Sun Drying Box!
A while back we hosted a demo of a DIY sun drying box at the Kohala Intergenerational Center. Here, in order to help you maximize the long summer sunlit days, we present to you step-by-step instructions! Be sure to keep reading after the build for some ono meat and veggie recipes you can make with your new favorite solar appliance. . .
- 1 qty 1-inch x 8-inch x 6-feet (1″x8″x6′) redwood fencing
- 2qty 2″ butt hinges
- 2qty hook eyes
- window screening
- 1/2″ x 1/2″ hardware cloth
- Rip lumber to size
- Cut to dimensioned size. For box in diagram 1 (above): sides – 48″, ends 22-1/2″
- Screw sides to ends to complete box.
- “Tack” two halves together. Check for squareness.
- Apply window screen to two sides. Apply battens.
- Separate the halves. Apply the hardware cloth.
- Install the hinges and hooks on opposite sides of the box.
Now what to do with it? Experiment! But to get you inspired, here are a few mouth watering ideas.
- Clean and cut to size.
- Salt overnight.
- Taste a small piece. If meat or fish, cook when appropriate. If it tastes how you like, place it in the drying box in direct sun to dehydrate.
- Combine sugar, shoyu, sesame oil, ginger, garlic and sesame seeds to taste.
- Marinade overnight and place it in the drying box in direct sun to dehydrate.
- Version 1: Combine salt, pepper, shoyu to taste - place it in the drying box in direct sun to dehydrate.
- Version 2: Combine Tender Quick, pepper, garlic powder and your favorite spices and place it in the drying box in direct sun to dehydrate.