The North Kohala community has a goal to produce 50% of the food it consumes by 2018.
The farmers, schools, businesses, non-profits and residents of North Kohala are working together to build demand and increase access to locally grown food. Together we developing a local, sustainable food system that will benefit the people of North Kohala.
FoodHubKohala.org was designed as an online “food hub” for North Kohala to organize resources and publicize events. This website is the home of and maintained by the North Kohala Food Forum, the umbrella organization for the North Kohala Eat Locally Grown Campaign and Community Harvest Hawai‘i initiatives. Please see the calendar of events and Kohala Food News for information on current events and projects.
Since its inception in 2009, the North Kohala Food Forum, North Kohala Eat Locally Grown Campaign and Community Harvest Hawai‘i has accomplished the following:
- Development of a community-based strategic plan “Growing a Local Food System in North Kohala” and corresponding outreach materials.
- Launching of FoodHubKohala.org
- My Eat Local Hawai‘i Plate
- North Kohala Know Your Farmer Directory
- Monthly harvesting, processing and distribution of excess food through Community Harvest Hawai‘i events
- Public education through articles in Big Island Weekly, Kohala Mountain News, Facebook and website.
- Workshops: Value Added Products for Small Farms; Focus on Food Preservation; Getting Down and Dirty: A Soil Mini-Symposium; Introduction to Laau Lapaau; Growing an Abundant Food Garden; Talk Dirt with Jana;
- Films: Sonatas of the Soil; Ingredients
- Seed and Plant Exchange at the Kohala Country Fair
- Local outreach for Kanu Hawaii statewide Eat Local Challenge (2010-2011)
- Events: Think Local, Buy Local, Eat Local; Kohala ‘Aina Festival
- Actions: Tree Planting and Volunteer Day at Kohala High School; North Kohala Eat Locally Grown Day; North Kohala Eat Locally Grown Week
- Kohala Farm-to-Fork Tours
- Farm-to-Table Dinner support
- Capacity Building—Kanu Hawai‘i Organizers Boot Camp
- Eating Locally Grown Luncheon at Kohala Senior Center
- Locally Grown Fresh Fruit Snacks at Kohala Elementary School
- Stone Soup Club—Community Food Processing
- Local Food Potlucks
- Community Food System Assessment
- North Kohala Food Forum flagship event